The original firm from which E. Gill & Sons Ltd. has descended dates back to the mid-eighteen hundreds, this being a firm of joiners and undertakers. In 1914 the business proceeded under the name of Mr. E. Gill and in 1930 his son, Mr. E. J. Gill became principal of the firm, called E. Gill & Sons. The firm is now run by the third and fourth generations, Peter, Janet and their children David, Simon and Emma-Jane. David's son Mark, the fifth generation, is working in the Monumental Masonry business. The present Offices and Chapel in Albert Street, Newark were opened in 1979 after careful consideration to the needs of bereaved families. In 1990 these premises were extensively extended and upgraded. The premises now consist of a Service Chapel, three Private Chapels, Interview Office and General Office. In 2005 it was decided to acquire the funeral business and Chapel of Rest at 10 High Street, Collingham following the retirement of David Tingle and thus continue a long association with Collingham. The Gill family, together with their experienced staff have always aimed to provide the best service and facilities that only a privately owned independent family business can give.